Followers

Sunday, December 25, 2005

chanukah day 1

Last year I made an improvised menorah after picking up a "how to" guide to Chanukah in my local supermarket. Yesterday I spotted a big poster as I drove home from town wishing everyone a Happy Chanukah and giving a phone number to call so that you could get your own menorah. So, of course, I rang. I spoke to Rabbi Dovid Jaffe who said he would arrange for one to be delivered. Today, just around lunchtime I got a phone call to arrange delivery and within half an hour a young Jewish man delivered my Chanukah kit. It contains 44 Chanukah candles, geld (chocolate money) and a dreidel. Oh, and the menorah. I thought it was such a nice idea. He also told me about the menorah lighting and fireworks around town over the next few days.

When it went dark I lit the shamash (that's the white candle) and then used it to light the first candle, which today happens to be red. I chose red because it was Christmas Day too. The candles burned for about 45 minutes.

No comments: