Followers

Saturday, December 10, 2005

BurlingtoneZ: Meeting the Matis

BurlingtoneZ: Meeting the Matis
One of my cooler moments this semester:

About a month ago, Matisyahu came to Higher Ground to perform. But this is not a post about the show.. which was the illest... but this is actually more about the night prior to the show.

I recieved an invitation from a friend of mine to come down to the Chabad House for dinner. I was told that Matisyahu would be joining them in prayer for their friday night service. I was very excited and got a whole slew of friends to join me because they said that I could bring anyone who wanted to pray. I was down for some praying... but I'd be lying if I were to say that I didn't hope to shake hands with Matis.

I arrived just as the service began. I was a little worried that I wouldn't know how to do something in the service and people would give me funny looks... but it turned out to be very laid-back. There was some intense praying going on, but the Rabbi kept a running english monologue for the people who weren't quite sure what the prayers were about.

Matis was standing in the back left of the room with his hat covering his eyes. His lips were moving a mile a minute.

After the service we were invited to the Rabbi's house for dinner in the sukkah (an outdoor eating area where all meals are eaten during the holiday of Sukkot). We all packed it into the Sukkah and food was brought out by the Rabbi's daughters. Matisyahu took a seat near the Rabbi at the head of the table. We started chowin down and socializing which was a lot of fun. Then Matis stood up and asked if anyone wanted to ask him anything. Everyone's hands shot up.

He talked about his connection to Judaism and how he communicates it through his music. He talked about his youth in New York. He talked about what it was like to play at Bonnaroo with Trey. He talked about what it's like to be on TV and be a celebrity. He just talked.. and it was awesome..

After dinner I got up the courage and introduced myself and told him about the show I saw him at a few months earlier. He was very friendly but it seemed like he had said all he wanted to say for the night so I told him that I'm happy that he does what he does.. He thanked me and wished me the best.

The next night the concert sold out and he blew everyone away.

It was pretty damn cool.

posted by mattyp

No comments: