Followers

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Third Light

Some time ago, I met a rabbi of Chabad in front of the Science Center. I told him that while I am not Jewish, my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage was also a guilt based religion with bad experience in Germany. I thought it was funny. The rabbi repeated my remark. He seemed contemplative. I did not know what Chabad was. I asked him a few questions. Unsurprisingly, each one was answered with a question. Having lived on the lower east side, I had a vague idea about the Chassidim. I learned that Chabad is a branch of Chassidism.


On a later day, I met the rabbi walking across the Yard. I asked him if I had offended him with my remark about my heritage. He said, "Oh, God no!" My relief was seasoned with a pinch of surprise.What? A rabbi shouldn't say 'Oh, God'?

My third encounter with Chabad occurred before the Third Light of Chanukah. Not by design. At least not mine.

No comments: