Followers

Thursday, March 09, 2006

My First Orthodox Wedding

Our friend, Avvi, got married this weekend and I attended my first Orthodox wedding. The whole process was fsacinating. I really liked the symbolism of the chupah and the seven blessings. I also enjoyed learning about the process of the weeklong separation of the bride/groom and the idea of a personal "Yom Kipppur." It was a bit uncomforable to be separate from the men for the signing of the ketubah, but it wasn't a big deal.

It was also interesting just being friends with Avvi during his dating process. Because he is a Lubavitcher and is very observant, he was pretty seletive in choosing a woman to spend the rest of his life with. For the last two years he has been traveling all over the country going on dates arranged by rabbi networks. We have met a few of the girls he has dated before, but the first time meeting his wife was at the wedding.

It was a beautiful and symbolic ceremony and I feel very honored to have attended.

No comments: