Followers

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jewisk Folklore Blog

Hello!
I just wanted to comment on the reading, discussion, and video about Chabad. I was thinking about how I feel about Chabad, what they do and their focus. Personally, I think that Chabad is good and is a positive group. The reason why is because one of their largest focus is outreach to Jewish people. But, because they also embrace other people of other religions I think speaks highly of the Chabad movement. Also, I was thinking about Chabad "missionizing" compared to Christian missionizing. Now, I don't know a lot about either Christian missionizing or Chabad for tha matter but, I do think that my opinions on this are valid. I see Chabad "missionizing" as being much more accepting than Christian missionizing because the lubavitch people are not trying to convert people from other religions into Judaism, they are just trying to bring Jews who are already Jewish BACK to Judaism (to strengthen their Judaism). Conversley, Christian missionaries try to get whoever they can to convert to Christianity. Also, it seems that the lubavitch people try to make Judaism inviting to the Jews, whereas among Christian missionies, from my experience, iseemt to try to, in a sense, FORCE you into Christianity (through Bible readings, etc.). I think there is an interesting comparison to speak of here because it is definately occurring.

To sum up my thoughts, I want to say that I do not mean to offend anyone by my comments, so please don't take offense. Also, to those Jews celebrating Rosh Hashannah...L'shanah Tova!! :)

Amber

No comments: