Followers

Thursday, September 21, 2006

F-358 Chabad

Observations of student apparently taking a class on Judaism...

Chabad is an organization that has not always seemed to fit right. While I agree with what they are doing by sending shalichim to different parts of the world where there are small Jewish communities that may need some help in finding a Jewish identity part of there theology just seems a little off. One line in the Fishkoff article was very hard for me to get past and changed my perception greatly. “chabad’s refusal to recognize non-orthodox Jewish denominations…” This statement really upsets me a lot. It just seems to me that the schalichim are being completely hypocritical. They are saying they don’t want to “convert” Jews to being in the chabad movement, yet don’t recognize them as being Jewish. It just doesn’t make sense. The article also talked about how the shalisim would not go into the homes of the community they were living in since according to chabad beliefs they did not follow a strict enough Judaism. Personally if some one was trying to teach be to be Jewish yet would no come to my home would be a huge insult and I would be very turned off by them. This is not to say that I am completely against what chabad is. I think I would enjoy the spirituality of their services and the life they bring to Judaism. It is great their love for the religion yet I disagree with how they are trying to get other Jewish people to be more Jewish.

No comments: