Followers

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

hope

Judaism, especially the Lubavitch and other conservative sects, appeals to me more, at least in this manner. I had the opportunity to film a radio interview with Tufts English professor Stephanie Levine during the Spring 2006 semester. As the author of the 2004 Mystics, Mavericks, And Merrymakers: An Intimate Journey Among Hasidic Girls , she completed her research for her book by spending a year in the Brooklyn Crown Heights Lubavitch community.

I have not read the book yet, but I did gain a lot from sitting in on the interview. Most importantly, I learned about the Lubavitch Jews' overall mystical outlook on the world. Still in search of their savior, they are amazingly open to the infinite possibilities that face them. And I feel that optimism almost always accompanies this. If not, it at least keeps the Jews on their toes, asking questions - not only living and learning, but adding to what we've got.

No comments: