Followers

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Tzomoh Lechoh Nafshi?

I love ethnic music of pretty much all different nations (except Chinese for some reason). Of course, I especially love klezmer and niggunim.

There is one Lubavitch tune (non-instrumental music link) which is really cool, but I have no idea what it means. The refrain is Hebrew from Psalm 63:

My soul thirsts for You, My flesh longs for You...

But then it it switches into Russian/Ukranian and the lyrics are a little strange:

Hey you, fool Marko,
Why are you going to the fair?
You don't sell, you don't buy,
You only cause trouble.



Here's the original, a little hard to transliterate since it's mixed Russian-Ukranian (for Stevin)

Эх ты, дурень Марко,
Що ты едешь на ярмарку.
Не купляешь, не продаешь,
Только робишь сварку.


What could this possibly mean????
Any Lubavitch people reading this?

posted by e-kvetcher at 8:43 PM
7 Comments:

Irina Tsukerman said...

LOL! Maybe it's a secret code for something. A really difficult anagram, perhaps. More subtle than The DaVinci Code.
July 20, 2006 9:18 PM
Shoshana said...

Is that for real? Can't help you with that one.

Have a great Shabbos!
July 21, 2006 5:47 AM
Tobie said...

Oh my gosh! My one semi-Lubavitch friend in the world told me about this one. That is, she really likes the song. I'll track her down and quiz her about this.
July 21, 2006 9:31 AM
Stevin said...

You should post it in the Ukrainian/Russian also.
I feel an odd kinship with the subject Marko.
July 21, 2006 10:31 PM
e-kvetcher said...

I updated the post, Stevin :)
July 22, 2006 8:03 PM
Editor said...

This post has been removed by the author.
July 23, 2006 10:40 AM
Editor said...

It is a "moshol" or parable.
"Marko" is the person.
Going to the "Market" is the soul coming down to spend time on Earth.
Proper "buying and selling" would mean using your time "at the market" wisely to fulfill G-d's will by doing his commandments / mitzvos.

Incindentally, when sung in English translation to make it rhyme - it goes: "You don't buy, you don't sell all you do is "smell" (=spend your time on "farshtunkeneh", smelly activity).


No comments: