Followers

Saturday, December 06, 2008

Chabad nanny: I should have done more

In the night between Wednesday and Thursday, while explosions and gunshots shook the walls of the house, Samuel said she attempted to reach the rabbi and his wife who were located on the second floor.

Thursday afternoon, Samuel heard Moshe calling for her and found him in tears, standing beside his parents, who were laying on the ground unconscious, but appeared to be alive.

Samuel said the marks she found on Moshe's back indicated that he had been hit hard buy the terrorists and she believes he may have lost consciousness for some time.

"First thing is that a baby is very important for me and this baby is something very precious to me and that's what made me just not think anything - just pick up the baby and run," Samuel said.
In CNN interview, Sandra Samuel who saved two-year-old Moshe Holtzberg from terror attack on Jewish center in Mumbai gives her account of horrific event, says does not view herself as a hero
Ynet

Sandra Samuel, the Indian nanny that saved Holtzberg toddler Moshe from the terror attack on a Chabad house in Mumbai last week, said she was no hero.

In an interview to CNN on Thursday, the nanny said she regrets not doing more for Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka, two-year-old Moshe's parents.
"Even today, I am thinking I should have sent the baby and done something for the rabbi and his wife," Samuel told CNN in an exclusive television interview in Israel, where she now lives.

Six people were killed in the Chabad house massacre, and Sandra and Moshe were the sole survivors.

Samuel recounted the terrifying moments, "I saw one man was shooting at me - he shot at me," she said. Samuel then slammed the door and hid in a first floor storage room.

"When I hear gunshot, it's not one or 20. It's like a hundred gunshots," she added. "Even I'm a mother of two children so I just pick up the baby and run. Does anyone think of dying at the moment when there's a small, precious baby?"

Samuel said the child still calls out for his mother, but is learning to play again, with her by his side. The nanny said she would stay in Israel as long as she was needed. "Yes, yes, they said it is important I am here," she said. "Me, I just take care of the baby."

At least 179 people were killed in the Mumbai terror attack, that lasted some 60 hours, and over 300 people were injured.

Ten terrorists barricaded themselves in several spots in the city, armed with guns and grenades. Indian officials have pointed the finger at neighboring Pakistan, and estimate the attack was meant to be even larger.

No comments: