Followers

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Rebbe's Army

Oh man! I'm only up to page 22 in Fishkoff but I'm totally blown away by the way she writes and what she shares. At times critical of some aspects of Lubavitcher Judaism, the author instead focuses her writing on Chabad outreach in the United States. She also candidly shares the ways rabbis and the schlichim have affected her personal Jewish faith. I cried just reading the prologue. It's just the same feeling I had watching Tea With Mussolini. I cannot wait to continue through this book. The rest of my day was spent on Chabad.org, working in the garden, baking blueberry muffins and going to Mass. I think all the time spent reading the teachings of the Lubavitcher rabbis was great prepartaion for my own worship. I am especially touched by the sense of responsibility that these Chabad Jews have for all Jewish people. I think G-d placed them here to restore the soul(s) of the Jewish people. No matter if you agree with them on everything, you can't deny their energy and action in the world. And, whether or not all Jews agree with them, they are a great unifying force for all Jews everywhere. Can't wait to continue reading.


[info]bdouville
2006-05-21 02:09 am UTC (link)
Perhaps sometime you can explain what it is that you find fascinating about this kind of Judaism.


RE: Oh man!
(Anonymous)
2006-05-21 02:43 pm UTC (link)
So you've gotten into this subject following meeting those guys at the fesival a couple weeks back? I'm also curious what drew you to this subject. Was it the subject itself or the enthusiam of the event/those people you met that was ripe timing for your attention?

BTW, What's "G-d"?

Yerp-pal, Kr-spyBy Norman Lebrecht / May 3, 2006

No comments: