Followers

Friday, April 21, 2006

Seder review from Live Jounal..

On a slightly more recent wednesday, I went to Bellingham for a Passover seder at the house of the only orthodox Jews for miles and miles around. They somehow fit 60 people into this little house on South Hill and the rabbi's 20 year-old wife, who was way cool and welcoming and generous, made this gigantic Pesach meal for all of them. I was frankly astounded. Passover's my favorite holiday in any religion, but I'd never been to an orthodox seder before. There was too much talking before the eating, but it was fun. The rabbi and his wife are Lubavitch, which is a weird fringe sect of Judaism that seems to have gotten really really big and runs Jewish resource centers all over the world so they're not really that fringe I guess, but they're still weird. They believe that a rabbi from Brooklyn was the Messiah.

No comments: