Followers

Thursday, October 06, 2005

All is One

: "This evening I pulled into a parking spot across the street from my house and there, in front of me on the corner, were a group of young Hasidic men. I think I should point out that a group of Hasidim in my neighborhood is not a common occurrence. In fact, an alien-landing complete with laser beams and mass destruction would have received less notice. Everyone on the street was entranced. When I walked past, the man who lives across from me was attempting to direct them since they seemed lost.

I'm going to assume that they were Lubavitchers who were walking to the shul located about 15 minutes from my house. I'm not sure exactly what that part of town is called but it's a religious mix.

*Googling*

Ok, this is interesting. The place I'm assuming the Hasidim were trying to reach is the Ohel Chabad Lubavitch Center. This center is near the gravesite of Rabbi Menachem M. Schneersohn or 'The Rebbe'. Based on the little bit that I know, the Rebbe was considered by some Lubavitchers to be the Messiah. Why is this relevant to me? Because I've eaten several times with Shari at the restaurant on the UWS that's pretty much devoted to him. They play videos of him non-stop, which I refer to as his eternal flame. The restaurant also makes a pretty mean steak.

I had no idea The Rebbe was buried in Queens.

Anyway, I hope the Hasidim found their way to the Center, it's a pretty long walk."

No comments: