Followers

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Nyorleans

but I didn’t want to get too far away from Baton Rouge if I was to get a call for deployment. I probably could have gotten away with it, and I guess I did that last Shabbes. A fellow in the Beth Shalom congregation, Sam Breen, came up to me at the kiddush and asked me if I’d like to drive down with him to the Chabad House in Metairie to help make the shabbes minyan the next morning. The man spoke in the slow droll of a native Nyorlinean. He had observed my davening during the silent amidah and thought I might be Orthodox. So Sam and I met in the Beth Shalom parking lot the next day and he drove me down to Nyorlean. And after shul (where I did in fact make the minyan), he gave me a tour of a number of devastated neighborhoods of New Orleans, and some of the affected suburbs like Metairie.

No comments: