Chabad in Michigan
1958: Young Russian couple Rabbi Berel Shemtov and his wife, Batsheva, arrive in Detroit to start a Michigan chapter of Chabad Lubavitch.
1994: The Friendship Circle, a center in West Bloomfield to help physically and mentally disabled children, opens. Daniel B. Sobel Friendship House, a center for addicts adjacent to the Friendship Circle, also opens.
June 2008: More than 1,000 gather to mark the 50th anniversary of Chabad Lubavitch with a keynote address by one of Israel's chief rabbis.
December 2009: Estimated completion date of new Chabad building for Michigan Jewish Institute.
Source: Chabad Lubavitch